I thought today that I'd work on getting my make-up organized. (Not that I have a whole lot.) Does your make-up drawer look anything like this? So I decided to make a "case" for my make-up to make it easier to store and for traveling.
So I came up with this. I used some fabric scraps that I had lying around.As you can see it opens and holds everything from my mascara to my nail-polish.
I also thought as I was organizing, it would be good to see what the appropriate shelf life is on different types of make-up. I was surprised on some of the information I found, so I thought I would share.
Make-up Shelf Life
- Anything 2 years or older should be thrown out.
- If color or odor has changed, get rid of it.
- Mascara should be replaced every 3-6 months same with eyeliners. These are breading grounds for infections.
- Lipstick 1 to 2 years
- Foundations up to a year, but use a clean sponge to apply.
- Concealers, stick products, creams 6 months
- Powders, blushes, and eye-shadows up to 2 years
- Nail polish 2 years
- Wash your brushes and sponges regularly. You can use whatever soap you have and lay flat to dry.
Tip of the Day
You should also regularly clean your hairbrushes and combs. I remember my mother always doing this. She'd put out a mason jar and add some vinegar. Then leave her brushes in it for the whole day or overnight. It is amazing how clean they get. And all you have to do is rinse them and let them air dry and they are good as new.
Here is my finished drawer. It is like night and day!!! I threw out a lot of stuff like make-up, nail polish, etc. that was old and I never ever use. It is great to be able to see what is in my drawer. I'll have to conquer my husbands next.
Check Out These Cool Sites